Choosing a Training Program

Jun 1, 2012




How on earth do you choose a training program?  There are hundreds of them out there.  I did a Google search for Half Marathon Training and seriously, there are pages and pages and pages of results.  So I spent an hour going through them. 

Some seemed too easy.  Too easy meaning that I dont' think I would be ready with the amount of miles they were recommending.  

Some seemed to complicated.  Hill repeats, followed by speed intervals, then tempo runs, then ... that was a little much for me.  This is my first half marathon, after all.  Mostly, I just want to finish.

One requirement for me was that there can not be 3 days in a row of running.  I have been running 3 days in a row for awhile and it is killing me.  And I have ended up injured, twice, after doing that, so no more.  Maybe in the later weeks of training, but definitely not the first 6. 

Here are a few I looked at:

Marathon Rookie here

Jeff Galloway here

Hal Higdon here

Cool Running here

About.com here

In the end, I think I am probably going to make up my own.  With a combination of things from each of these plans.  I am also going to incorporate Yoga as a cross training activity.   I am going to start my official training on June 4th.  That gives me 19 weeks till the race.  I realize 19 weeks is way longer than most people officially train for a half marathon.  But I know me.  I will likely have to repeat some weeks to feel like I really mastered the mileage.  Also, we have a week of vacation in there where I will likely run, but it won't be the distance that it should be for training.

As soon as I get my weeks and mileage mapped out, I will be sure to post it.  That way you can run along with me!

Hallie

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Blog contents © Try One ... 2012. Blogger Theme by Nymphont.